Outdoor classes are designed to give an adult the skills, knowledge, and confidence to work with girls in the outdoors. The troop may be participating in activities such as environmental education, hiking, outdoor cooking, day trips, day camping, troop camping or backpacking.
All outdoor classes are based on Leave No Trace outdoor ethics:
- Plan ahead and prepare.
- Travel and camp on durable surfaces.
- Dispose of waste properly.
- Leave what you find.
- Minimize campfire impacts.
- Respect wildlife.
- Be considerate of other visitors.
Troop Camp Certification
If girls plan to participate in camping activities, then the troop must have an adult who is troop camp certified.
This adult will: PLAN and prepare for the camping event with the girls; ATTEND the camping event and help to supervise
the girls; LISTEN to the girls and help them to evaluate the experience.
Camping events requiring a troop camp certified adult for each troop include troop camping, service unit and council-sponsored camping events, core camp, and multiple troop camp events. A troop camp certified adult is also needed for any troop activity that includes any TWO of the following:
- Sleeping in the outdoors on the ground, in tents, or in open-air shelters such as tent platforms, A-frames, kiosks, Adirondack shelters, etc.
- Food preparation involving the use of camp stoves, charcoal box ovens, solar ovens, or Dutch ovens.
- Outdoor skills such as hiking, compass and map, outdoor survival, environmental education, use of knots or lashing, fire building and/or the setting up of shelters.
There are two options by which an adult can become troop camp certified:
- Complete both Introduction to Outdoor Activities and Basic Troop Camping classes.
- Participate in an Introduction to Outdoor Activities class. Once verification of course completion has been received by the Adult Development Department, the adult can request a packet to challenge the Basic Troop Camping class. Proficiency in outdoor skills, knowledge of safety procedures and emergency planning, Leave No Trace techniques, and girl progression in the outdoors are components of this challenge process. (The packet will be mailed to you and contains complete information on the challenge option. The challenge option is offered on a limited basis and may not be available during peak training times.) Please allow a minimum of 3-4 months prior to your outdoor event to complete this process.