The Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting
The Girl’s Guide to Girl Scouting (or GG2GS), are our new handbooks for girls. There is a book available for each program level – Girl Scout Daisy through Ambassador.
Along with the journey books, the GG2GS will make up a program portfolio that will ensure we accomplish our Girl Scout Mission: Girls of courage, confidence and character who make the world a better place. Although these are books for girls, they are also resources for leaders.
Journeys + Girl’s Guides, a workshop providing an overview of our newest materials and tips on utilizing journeys and combining them with new resources. Click here for course description and schedule.
Brownie Elf Video
National Program Portfolio
The National Program Portfolios are the program resources we use to deliver the Girl Scout Leadership Experience. Girls start by choosing a journey, and then add in fun badges, trips, camping, product sales activities and more.
Click on each age level below to read more about what Girl Scouts of that age do.
The Girl Scout Journey
Each Journey offers girls a new adventure, allowing them to Discover, Connect and Take Action with fun activities, discussions, projects and more! Currently, Girl Scouts offers three unique Journey series - all covering a wide variety of topics.
Journeys are the core framework to the GSLE, and they're available for each Girl Scout grade level. And, they can be customized for each girl! Each Journey comes as a set, providing the adult leaders with a handbook full of fun ideas, useful activities, discussion topics and more. At the end of each Journey, girls will also have the chance to earn their Journey awards and patches to display on their uniforms.
The journeys offer girls all the leadership benefits that we’ve promised them and the badges offer them the chance to build specific skills. When a girl goes on a journey, she gets to explore leadership from all different angles. How does a leader identify a problem that needs to be solved? How does she dig deeper to find the root causes of that issue? How does she research solutions that go beyond the surface level of the problem? And how does she team with others on all of the above, multiplying efforts to make the world a better place? That’s what the journeys are all about! The journeys aim at all three keys to leadership: Discover, Connect and Take Action.
Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting
This book has three main sections:
- Handbook containing information on traditions, history, awards.
- Badges containing requirements for seven Legacy badges, Financial Literacy, Cookie, and Make Your Own badges.
- My Girl Scouts contains pages girls can customize, with stickers provided in the GS Daisy, Brownie, and Junior books.
Each girl will want her own copy since the “Girl’s Guide” contains:
- Girl Scout history
- Girl Scout traditions
- Awards log
- Diagram of sash/vest with award placement
- Bridging award requirements for relevant program level
- Bronze, Silver, Gold Award requirements for relevant program levels
- Additional program information for each level such as Program Aide or Counselor in Training info
- Journey map for relevant program level
- Map showing all the councils and special Girl Scout places (i.e., the Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace, World Centers, etc.)
If you have questions about which resources are being discontinued, click here. Here are some handouts to review:
- How the National Portfolio Works
- Proficiency Badge Categories
- Anatomy of a Badge
- Proficiency Badges ~ Progression
- Daisies: A Special Approach
- Girl's Guide to Girl Scouting Summary
- Legacy badges for every level in the GG2GS
- Awards girls can earn each year: Financial Literacy and Cookie Business badges; a Journey Summit Pin and My Promise, My Faith Pin
- Girl Scout Daisy Petals continue with more robust activities and leaves will be earned for Financial Literacy and Cookie Business
- Information on awards for Girl Scout Cadette, Senior and Ambassador girls: Program Aide, Counselor in Training, Volunteer in Training (details on training for VIT will be available at a later date)
- Sets of Skill Building Badges linked to each Journey to add to the GG2GS
Click here for more information describing the books in more detail.
For more information please call the council office at (800) 322-4475 or (916) 452-9181 or e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.