Bridge to Girl Scout Adult Award
Cross the Bridge to Girl Scout Adult!
Your moment is here! As a graduating Girl Scout Ambassador, it's time to embrace what you've learned in Girl Scouting, honor how that will forever be a part of who you are, and step into the world as a young woman of courage, confidence and character. It's time to begin your adult journey.
When you become a Girl Scout adult, you join nearly one million Girl Scouts—across the country and around the world—who volunteer their time and inspire girls to become leaders. You're also linked to an astounding 10 million global sisters through the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts and 50 million Girl Scout alumni! Whether you want to build your resume, blaze a particular career path or make new friends based on a shared Girl Scout experience, you've got a worldwide sisterhood to add richness and fun for the rest of your life!
You'll find many different ways to stay connected to Girl Scouts, the organization that helped you grow into the young woman you are today. If you're heading to college, consider joining Campus Girl Scouts, a great way to make friends and earn service learning credits.
Girls love to connect with young adults, so you're in a perfect position to influence and inspire those younger than you. You can volunteer to guide a troop, help girls earn badges by teaching a skill such as photography or rock climbing, mentor Girl Scouts as they do a leadership journey, help out at a day camp or work with girls as they participate in the Girl Scout Cookie Program.
Love to travel? Think about chaperoning girls as they visit Aerospace Camp, ride horses in the Appalachian Mountains, or celebrate world culture at Mexico's Our Cabaña. You can become a camp counselor, represent GSUSA at national and international events, raise funds for your council or serve on the board of directors. Above all, you can give back to Girl Scouts, by sharing your experiences, listening to the girls, and inspiring them to dream big!
Don't forget to share future plans with your Girl Scout council. They would love to hear from you!
Earning the Award
Are you ready to cross the bridge to Girl Scout Adult? Complete two bridging steps to earn your Bridge to Girl Scout Adult Award, the last award you can earn as a girl member.
Bridging Step One: Pass It On!
Share your talents and skills by teaching younger Girl Scouts one thing you learned to do as an Ambassador.
As a Girl Scout Ambassador bridging to Girl Scout Adult, you've no doubt felt a lot of inspiration. Dig deep and find a way to share your knowledge, skills, enthusiasm and spirit. To complete this step, donate your time to a special project within Girl Scouts, your community or the world. Use one of the ideas below, or come up with your own. Here's some ways to get started:
- Spend some time with Girl Scout Seniors bridging to Girl Scout Ambassador and share your favorite parts of your Girl Scout Ambassador journeys—your Take Action projects, trips, outings, friendships, and leadership lessons learned. As you help Girl Scout Seniors define what leadership means to them, reflect on how others helped you along the way!
- Inspire younger girls! Help them earn badges or complete a journey activity. Hold a fitness clinic or dance class. Teach them rock climbing, graphic design, cooking, karate, or another special skill you've learned as a Girl Scout.
- Volunteer time helping your council, a community group or a global organization. Work on the council Web site, join a community beautification project in your town, or create a flier promoting an international relief effort. Your actions will show others what you've learned from being a Girl Scout. As Gandhi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
Bridging Step Two: Look Ahead!
Find out What Girl Scout Adults Do
More than 900,000 adults empower girls to become leaders through Girl Scouting. Talk to Girl Scout Adults and find out what inspires them. Reflect on how Girl Scouting has influenced your life. Use one of these suggestions, or come up with your own. You only have to do one to complete the step. Here's some ways to start:
- Get together with a Girl Scout adult or group you admire. This doesn't have to be formal. You can start a conversation at a pizza party, walk on the beach, movie night or camping trip. Ask about the endurance of the Girl Scout legacy or the highlights of volunteering. What do they embrace about being adults in Girl Scouting.
- Hold an appreciation breakfast or lunch for Girl Scout Adults who have supported you! Share your memories, photos or even a poem to tell them how much their help meant to you.
- Create a slideshow of your best moments in Girl Scouts. Add some music and gather your friends, family and the Girl Scout Adults who influenced you to share your walk down memory lane!
Plan a Ceremony
Congratulations! You've earned your Bridge to Girl Scout Adult Award! Celebrate with a favorite ceremony you've learned in your time as a Girl Scout.
Once you have bridged, you may register as an adult. A special lifetime membership, at a reduced cost, is offered to registered Girl Scout Ambassadors at the time of their high school graduation, provided they apply for lifetime membership before their current annual membership expires.