Planning Tips for the Big Event
On April 28, you’ll join more than 12,000 Girl Scouts and their families for the ultimate 100th anniversary celebration. With hundreds of activities and entertainment to choose from, you can tailor your day according to your unique needs and interests. Below is some key information to help with this planning. (Don’t forget to also grab an event program as you enter the gates at Cal Expo.)
Schedule for the Day:
- Gates Open & CEO Address: 10 a.m. (on the GIRLtopia Outdoor Stage)
- Booths and activities: 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Your Main Stage Show time corresponds with the color of your wristband. See “Wristband” section below to find out if your show is at 11 a.m., 1 p.m. or 3 p.m. (Note: All three shows on the main stage feature the same performers.)
- Tons of performances on World Stages take place repeatedly throughout the day.
Plan your day using the World Stage Schedule.
- Main Stage Shows are 90 minutes long. Seating will begin 15 minutes prior to each show. You will only be admitted to the time corresponding with your wristband color.
- There will be a stroller parking area at the back of the Main Stage Arena; however, it will not be secured.
- This is a rain or shine event. So that everyone can see, umbrellas will not be allowed in the Main Show Arena. Consider bringing a poncho if it rains.
- Wristbands are required for entry to the event, and your wristband color corresponds with your 90-minute Main Stage show time. Tip: Arrive to the event already wearing your wristbands.
- Wristband color key:
Green: 11 a.m. Main Stage Show
Blue: 1 p.m. Main Stage Show
Pink: 3 p.m. Main Stage Show (ends at 4:30 p.m.)
Yellow V.I.P: Priority seating for first 1,000 people registered. Wear WITH your show time wristband.
Purple Hawaiian: CSA Ultra Lounge
- Tip: Write an emergency phone number on the girls’ wristbands, so that if there is a lost child we can find you faster. There will be two lost & found/information/first-aid booths onsite. Map.
- Make your group identifiable with bright shirts, hair bows or bandanas. With more than 12,000 registered, this will help keep your group from blending in. Have fun with it!
Food & Beverages:
- There will be fair food at fair prices ($3-$12). If you want to avoid the line and the cost of food, prepare a fun snack for the girls to bring in with them, or plan to take a break and head to the car to tailgate, especially if you are planning to stay all day.
- Bring your own water bottles. Coolers will not be allowed in but small snacks and drink boxes will.
- There will be picnic areas scattered throughout the fairgrounds. Two large picnic areas are located in the Between Earth and Sky world next to Get Moving.
The GS Shop:
- There will be two council shops. The outside shop is cash only. The inside shop will take cash, check, credit and Girl Scout Cookie credits. Take home a special limited edition 100th event T-shirt for $10!
- Nearly all activities are open to all-ages; however, CSA Ultra Lounge is for older Girl Scouts only (i.e. Girl Scout Cadettes, Seniors and Ambassadors).
- The rock-climbing wall in Get Moving has an age restriction: Participants must be in second grade or above and must weigh at least 25 lbs.
And Beyond the Seven Worlds, Watch for:
- Juliette Gordon Low will be making several guest appearances in each world. There is also a photo opportunity with Daisy near the Girl Scouts history exhibit between MEdia and CSA Ultra Lounge. The history area is a great way to see all of the exciting accomplishments Girl Scouts have made throughout the century.
- Photo & SWAPS opps: Make some memories—don’t forget the camera. Bring SWAPS too—there will be a SWAP area in each world.