National Council Session
Your Girl Scout adventure continues!
Looking for a once-in-a-lifetime Girl Scout opportunity? In July 2023, Girl Scouts from all over the world will join together in Orlando, Florida at the GSUSA National Council Session. This convention hosts policy-making experiences and elections for the National Board of Directors and National Board Development Committee. Starting in 1915 and every few years since then, delegates from every council across the nation and USA Girl Scouts Overseas have met to discuss, debate, and vote on issues important to the Girl Scout Movement and elect national leaders for the next three years. Wouldn’t you like to the part of that tremendous experience?
Mark your calendars!
National Council Session ~ July 2023
[exact dates and schedules to be announced]
I enjoyed the opportunity to hear the experiences and perspectives of other Girl Scout adult and girl delegates, not just from GSHCC, but from across the US and Overseas. It’s so easy to get lost in the day-to-day local Girl Scout experiences and protocols and forget that we are a larger sisterhood. Being reminded that what might seem like a simple proposal or idea in one council may have a very different response in a different part of the country or even within a different community demographic in the same council. I was really inspired listening to the girls share their experiences, ideas, accomplishments, and debate proposals with adult delegates. There was a lot of important preparation ahead of the convention, but it was all worth it. I learned so much about Parliamentary process and have new appreciation for the business side of the Movement. Being a delegate has made me a better volunteer because I’ve developed a broader viewpoint and better understanding of the decision making and business side of Girl Scouts.
NCS Delegate 2020-2022
National Council Delegates serve as GSHCC’s voting members at the GSUSA National Council Session. Girl and adult delegates engage and gather feedback from Girl Scout members in our council, learn about proposals, serve as the voice of GSHCC during the NCS. They then bring back information to share locally.
The GSHCC Board Development Committee is seeking applications for two girl positions and several alternate delegate positions. Read more below to learn about how to apply for this unique opportunity.
Interested Girl Scouts may apply for NCS Delegate positions online. Applications will be accepted until July 15, 2021. Click here to access the application.
Please note some very important
qualifications for an NCS Delegate (for the complete list, see the Position
- A citizen of the United States of America.
- A registered member of Girl Scouts Heart of Central California
- Fourteen years of age or older at the time of NCS
- Willing to prepare thoroughly on the issues and business that will come before the National Council and be committed to attending training sessions, briefings, and forums in preparation for NCS
- Serves for a full triennium (3 years) and becomes a member of the GSHCC Representative Assembly
- Must be available to attend the National Council Session for the business sessions currently scheduled for July 2023 (exact dates have not yet been announced by GSUSA)
- Willingness to learn parliamentary procedure and how to use it (training provided)
- Willingness to communicate with staff, members, and volunteers